Sunday, July 15, 2007

Day 249: To Digg Or Not To Digg?


G'day,

This is the weirdest day of my life.

As you can see from the screen shot above my video (84 Days In 48 Seconds) was submitted to Digg.com yesterday. Digg is a social networking news site where users can vote on stories.

My video currently has 319 "diggs" which means that many users have voted in the affirmative. As a result, traffic to that YouTube video and also to this blog has exploded in the last 24 hours. The video got 10,000 views in the last 24 hours and my blog traffic is 4 times higher than usual.

So, this is a good thing right? Well, kind of.

Let me explain. That video was submitted to Digg without my knowledge. I deliberately avoided Digg because of what I have seen there. Digg is a great place to find cool stories and videos but personally I have better things to do with my time than to comment and vote on news stories.

Many of them (not all) completely miss the point of what the video is all about, which was meant to inspire people to do the same thing.

But, there seems to be a "silent majority" who like the video because it is still in the "Most Recently Popular" category 24 hours later due to all the "diggs" it has received. I am appreciative of the exposure but it is really bittersweet at the moment.

I guess the message here is to limit your exposure if you decide to make videos (and a blog) of your fat loss journey. You must try to avoid negativity especially in the early stages of a fat loss journey.

Anyway, I'm going to sign off now and get some sleep. I'm really looking forward to my upcoming holiday to Australia so I can chill out for a while!

Peace,
AJ

Eat Clean,
Shred Hard,
Think BIG!

*N.B. I edited this post today. Yesterday I was quite upset when I originally made this entry. Upon reflection, yesterday I acted on my initial emotion and I let that show. Sorry about that.

P.S. Here is the video that got Dugg.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

that last person had a point

Anonymous said...

I can't believe what happened there. I think that you shouldn't have to justify what you are doing to those "air headed" people who don't have a clue what can be achieved and what not. The comments were childish and ridiculous, so that shows the “level” of the commentators over there. I will definitely boycott Digg!

I know it’s hard, but you should not take notice of that kind of things and leave it. People who are really interested will find all the information and links to the right sources. I will reveal that thanks to you Adam I have also started my fat loss journey based on Tom’s and Nick’s programs. I found all this information from your website and I am using it to change my life!! I believe in you and this is what matters to me, otherwise I wouldn’t do it :)

Otter Christy said...

Your thoughts echo that of a teacher of mine. He called it keeping things "sacred and silent." With all those energy vampires nipping at your neck, I thought I would post and say I get what you and this blog are all about and you are inspiring. So get to work on printing up those t-shirts for me already. :) Have a great time in Australia!

Mark said...

You're right, those people at Digg are very negative. I think you did a great job. You should be very proud of both your work on your body and on your bllog/video.

Regardless of the silly comments, you have had a positive effect on many people through your blog.

Kepp up the great work.

Mark

Anonymous said...

Adam, Ryan from geelong again mate, crazy to see the storm that's arisen over there at digg. Don't let it get you down mate. What a bunch of tossers. No one even uses digg... youre youtube video comments are still overwhelmingly positive from the quick look I took, and youtube is way bigger than digg. You'll fall out of the top 25 at digg eventually, I know it feels weird to have have your video hijacked but thats the internet for you mate

Anonymous said...

Adam,

Time for the support network to crawl out of the woodwork. I'm sure I don't need to tell you that the world is quite a jealous place.... negativity aimed at you and your fabolous achievement - can be nothing but this particularly nasty quality.

You have inspired me, and no doubt numerous other regular RTP readers to begin their own journey. My results might not be as fast as yours... but the differences are there for all to see!!

We all suffer from those that would seek to damage us out of malice and spite.... your strength, Physical now as well as mental will allow you to rise above it.

Don't forget your Powerful Reason Why!!!

James, Leeds, England.

Adam Waters said...

Thank you Kriistina, Christy, Mark and James. You guys gave really brightened my day.

Yesterday was really a long day. By then end of it I became really jaded by the whole thing. I never expected to get so much negativity but on reflection perhaps I have been "living in a bubble of positivity" on this blog that is obvoiusly not representative of the Internet as a whole.

I have to admit I really took all the criticism to heart and began to question myself, this blog and the videos I put out. In the midst of it all I came very close to pulling that video and a few others off YouTube, but I'm glad now I didn't make a rash, emotional ddecision.

That feeling has subsided a little and hopefully in time I'll just laugh about this whole experience.

I may come across as being a "victim" but I'm not looking for sympathy, I just want clarity and to clear my mind of the negativity. When you are so close a something that you have created it is really tough.

Anyway, I can only imagine what famous people in the public spotlight must go through! I am in no way comparing myself to them, I just wonder how they get through all the drama.

Cheers,
Adam

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great video, i currently am looking about like you did on day 1 and this site has encouraged me to get off my butt and get to work.

Anonymous said...

Adam, I am sure you have people here who read in the shadows who you don't even know about that you have inspired to action. Focus on those people, not the nay sayers who are probably still sitting on their butts complaining and cutting those down who are actually doing it!