Saturday, July 21, 2007

Day 255: Imagination And Intensity

G'day,

Yesterday we discussed one of the most important components of a full-blooded physique transformation...intensity.

As intensity is difficult to define or quantify in the absolute, I gave you my definition of intensity in the form of a blog post I wrote back on Day 38, Man Vs. Machine.

In that Day 38 post I described in great detail a brutal cardio session that had taken place earlier that day. However, you can also apply the concept of intensity just as easily to your weight training sessions.

How To Create Intensity

Now, you may be thinking, "Ok, that's a good idea, but there are some days when I just don't feel "intense" so how can I force myself to train at high intensity on those particular days?"

I think this may be a common scenario for some people as the day-to-day grind of a long-term physique transformation can be quite draining, physically, psychologically and emotionally.

Well, I have an idea you can use to increase the intensity of your training on "those days" when you are not "feeling it".

Use Your Imagination!

Use your imagination to create intensity. Simple as that!

This has worked amazingly well for me, especially on "those days" when I felt I was struggling to break through a plateau or
I just wasn't feeling the "intensity vibe".

In essence, what you want to do is "raise the stakes" of that particular workout by applying an almost "life or death" or a "ultimate success or ultimate failure" type of importance to your training mindset. Then channel that "intense vibe" into every single rep and set of your workout.

This may sound dramatic, but I know for a fact that applying this type of mindset into the vast majority of my workouts has been a major factor in my success thus far.

Back on Day 118 I described a concept of intensity that I frequently apply called "EarthQuake Intensity". If earthquakes are a common occurrence in the area where you live perhaps you could apply "EarthQuake Intensity" to your training sessions?

Make It Personal

However, the biggest tip I can give you is to make it personal to you, draw on internal or external hypothetical scenarios that strike a nerve with you.

That's right, make it dramatic! Blow it completely out of proportion! Allow it to consume you, then direct that "intensity" into the job at hand...your workout.

EarthQuake Intensity

Imagine that an earthquake struck during your workout (a very real possibility in Japan where I live) and your gym came crashing down with weights, racks, machines and dumbells flying everywhere.

Now just imagine the damage that would cause to the gym…and to you.

Here's what I want you to think about.

In the split second before that earthquake struck would you be going down in a blaze of glory giving it your all? Or would you already regret not maxing out your potential by not pushing yourself through the pain barrier?

Here's the point, train hard with intensity on every rep of every set because you never know how long you have to live your dreams.

Finally...if you don't believe me take a trip to Kobe in Japan and ask people there how quickly earthquakes can destroy buildings and lives. I personally know many people who were directly affected by the Great Hanshin Earthquake in 1995.

Peace,
AJ

P.S. Here are Day 255 pics for July 21, 2007: Mission 3 Phase 1 - Day 25 of 60


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Adam,

Doing great!! I seem to have put some extra fat on around my mid rift but lost it from everywhere else... very dissapointing at the 8 week point. But have gone from 77kg down to 72kg and I can see a real difference in my physique. I took a picture at the start so when I "complete" my own mission I will send you the two pics and you can see what you helped me to achieve!

I also wanted to raise a point regarding the "?" on the Six Pack comment on the daily pics. I remember being really inspired by something you said way back like "I KNOW I'll achieve a fantastic six pack with this particular method" and sure enough - you did!! Just wanted to check that the "?" is not a question mark in your head.... you are gonna do it!!!

James, Leeds UK

Adam Waters said...

Thats great news James, don't worry too much about the extra fat around your mid-riff. I have found that a physique transformation is rarely an upwardly linear progression. Progress is progress.

The question mark regarding the six-pack creates pressure on me to produce a six-pack by Day 290. It worked well for M2 so I thought I'd try it again.

Cheers,
Adam