Saturday, June 16, 2007

Day 220: Setting And Achieving "Micro-Goals"

G'day,

Today I did my lower body "Hypertrophy Workout" which consisted of front squats, barbell deadlifts and calf raises. I drilled myself so hard that I could barely walk up the stairs to my locker after the session!

These "Hypertrophy Workouts" allow one minute rest between sets with a rep range of 8 to 12. My strategy for these style workouts is to choose a weight I can do for 12 reps for the first set and stay above 8 reps for the last set (usually 8 sets for each bodypart).

With only one minute rest this becomes quite a challenge as your muscles fatigue heavily by the time you reach the last couple of sets. However, I believe it is very important to set a micro-goal for each and every set.

This way you will gain a sense of accomplishment (if you meet your micro-goal) every single time you complete a set. You will then use this momentum to propel throughout the entirity of your workout.

Tomorrow I have scheduled a well-earned rest day (after 6 straight days) so the next time I will write will be on Monday when I will unveil my "hardcore" accountability plan for Mission 3.

Peace,
AJ

No comments: